Adding a Baja Shelf Creates the Perfect “Ah-Ha” Feature to Your Pool Design
When its comes to designing their backyard pool, homeowners are always looking that “ah-ha moment” when they discover the perfect feature that completes their dream pool. If this is you, we suggest you have a “baja moment”. Baja Shelves, have long been associated with luxury resort pools and high-end community pools as areas that provide a safe and relaxing environment. Over the past 5-10 years they have become extremely popular in residential pool designs and is definitely a feature to consider in your pool design.
What is a Baja Shelf?
A baja shelf, also known as a tanning ledge, sun shelf, or shallow water shelf, is a flat, shallow area typically located at one end of the pool, designed to provide a space where people can relax and sunbathe in shallow water.
The baja shelf is usually around 6 to 18 inches deep, allowing individuals to partially submerge themselves in the water while lounging or sitting. It provides a convenient spot to place chairs, sun loungers, or even inflatable pool floats. The shallow water on the baja shelf is particularly popular among children, as they can play or splash around in a safer, more accessible area.
Baja shelves are often constructed with non-slip materials to ensure safety and may feature built-in umbrella sleeves or jets for added comfort. They have become a desirable addition to many pool designs, as they offer a relaxing and refreshing way to enjoy the water while remaining comfortably supported.
Advantages of a Baja Shelf
The baja shelf in a swimming pool offers several advantages:
- Relaxation and Comfort: A baja shelf provides a comfortable space to relax and enjoy the water without fully immersing yourself. It allows you to partially submerge your body and stay cool while basking in the sun or reading a book.
- Safety for Non-Swimmers: The shallow depth of the baja shelf makes it a safe area for non-swimmers, especially children or individuals who may not be confident in deeper water. They can enjoy the pool experience while being in a controlled and easily accessible area.
- Sunbathing: Baja shelves are designed for sunbathing, providing a shallow water area where you can soak up the sun. You can comfortably lie down on a lounger or float while staying cool in the water.
- Interaction and Play: The baja shelf is an excellent space for socializing and interacting with others in the pool. It allows people to sit or stand in close proximity, making conversations and playing games more convenient.
- Versatility: Baja shelves are versatile and can be used for various purposes. In addition to sunbathing, they can be utilized as a children’s play area, a platform for water toys, or a place to sit and relax while watching others swim.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Baja shelves add an attractive and visually appealing element to the pool design. They can be customized with different materials, colors, and finishes to complement the overall aesthetics of the pool.
- Cooling Effect: The shallow water on the baja shelf helps to keep you cool during hot summer days. You can enjoy the refreshing sensation of being in the water without having to fully submerge yourself.
- Overall, the baja shelf enhances the pool experience by providing a safe, comfortable, and versatile area for relaxation, socializing, and enjoying the sun.
Baja Shelf Features
- Baja shelves can incorporate additional features to enhance the user experience. These can include built-in umbrella sleeves or holders to provide shade, jets or bubblers for a soothing water feature, or even lighting elements for a dramatic effect at night.
- Integration with Steps or Seating: Baja shelves can be seamlessly integrated with pool steps or seating areas. This allows for easy access from the shallow area to deeper parts of the pool and provides a cohesive design.
- Customization: Baja shelves can be customized based on individual preferences and requirements. Whether you want a specific color scheme, shape, or special features, working with a professional pool designer or contractor can help you create a unique baja shelf design that suits your style and needs.